Thursday, February 25, 2010

SING me that fried chicken you do so well!


Firstly, sorry everyone! I have not updated in a while for one reason mainly. There haven't really been that many spectacular dishes or places I have been that have umm how can I put this - knocked my socks off?
Sure I went to SPICY TEMPTATION HOUSE with some excellent friends of mine, and it wasn't bad - but then it was sichuan and I had blogged about it the previous week and it was not better than DAINTY so I felt there was no point. With that said - if you ever go there and have a choice of the "one dollar" meals - DO NOT get the squid - I wanted to die.

Anyway today something amazing happened! I met up with my faithful foodie friend Stephanie and the lovely Sasha for lunch to hang out. We were initially going to try the new Cafenatics in Docklands, or the one in Equity Lane - but then Stephanie pulled out this amazing suggestion.
"You know in the Arcade off Flinders Lane where we had Japanese that time?"
"Oh yes..."
"You know the Asian place next door?"
OH YES this is a place I have walked past so many times and have not tried. It is a place where the fried chicken and assorted dishes look just amazing.
"Let's go!"

So we did - and it was pretty darn busy, but not crazy - just your typical lunch rush.
The Port Phillip Arcade is an underrated arcade located in between Flinders Lane and Flinders Street - there is of course access from both sides - it in covered and is slightly reminiscent of the mistakes made in the 80's and 90's in terms of inner city gentrification.

NOW this amazing asian eatery is called KIM SING Chinese restaurant.
There are no menus at tables, you go up look at the menu near the cashier and just tell them what you want. Cutlery is next to the cashier and tissues too - ALSO water is in another part of the eater which is opposite to the existing KIM SING. It's so funny.
Oh and did I mention how darn cheap everything is here?
No I didn't - well here you go my lovely friends...
$6-
Could this possibly be the cheapest meal in the CBD that is actually a meal?
I'd say so - but feel free to prove me wrong.

Now what did I get for my 6 bucks?



Now tell me that does not look appetising?
I ordered the CHICKEN STEAK WITH RICE - I think it is either number 41 or 47.
It appears to be super popular because everyone orders it - so I just asked the woman what the chicken dish everyone was eating.
Now as you can see, you don't just get plain rice, it's a very basic fried rice with a few pieces of steamed broccoli and some kind of slightly sweet transparent slightly orange sauce.
I got two rather nicely sized pieces of chicken, no bones!
I also made good use of the chilli oil which is fucking good chilli oil. It was a really enjoyable and satisfying meal. There is something distinctly home style about all the food at this place.
Stephanie ordered some sweet and sour chicken which was yummy. Sasha ordered chicken and onion omelette which I quite fancied myself.

So my friends, with uni going back - we will all be working less and looking for those places that are friendly to our wallets and our mouths.

KIM SING Chinese Restaurant does just this.

I recommend!

1 comment: