Tuesday, January 26, 2010

My undying love.



IF there would be one food - in particular a dessert that I could not do without, it would be cheesecake. Not so much baked cheesecake because they're a tad heavy for my liking and people rarely get them right. HOWEVER the humble refrigerator cheesecake is something else for me.
The cool creaminess with a slight tart kick of the cream cheese, and in amongst this you have the glorious sweetness and whatever designated flavours pleasuring you with every bite.
I myself am very fond of making cheesecake because majority of my friends and family enjoy a good cheesecake.
My Mother and Aunty are the cheesecake kids of the family and tend to make them whenever a family celebration is in order.

When I was in Japan recently I had an absolutely amazing Green Tea cheesecake. Green Tea Cheesecake? You ask. Oh yes, in the land of sushi, tradition and the future - you have an amazing fusion of flavours. On the one hand you have the very traditional Japanese flavours and then you have European influences all joining together and creating some great expressions.

Here is the Green Tea Cheesecake I had in Japan:



It was part of a dessert set, all the items being of a green tea persuasion, but to me this cheesecake stuck out. It was SO unique in it's flavour and so well done. I cannot emphasise to anyone I tell about this cheesecake how good it was. I can taste it just thinking about it, and the lightness of the cream cheese middle was perfect. My friend Yukiko who works for this cafe which is green tea themed is just a lovely girl and she took me here for the second time in my life (My first time being about 3 years ago on my first trip to Japan). It was great, and it's always good to go on a local's recommendation for eating out when travelling. Don't go mainstream, play it how the locals do and you will be very happy.

NOW the whole point of this entry was that last week I went over to Sydney Road, Brunswick with my younger brother Andrew. I wanted to show him this really great shopping strip; one that is long, gritty, exciting and varied. It has a strong Mediterranean influence with a host of Middle Eastern and Asian cuisines. For anyone who wishes to get here, take the 19 NORTH COBURG tram from Elizabeth Street and get off at about stop 20, alternatively catch the UPFIELD train to Anstey Station or Coburg Station. Or catch the 903 bus and catch the tram down a few stops to get in on the action. This is a long street, so stop 20 on the tram is where it is all at.

NOW there are two places I want to talk about;

The Mediterranean Supermarket.

Is an amazing supermarket for anyone look for groceries of a Mediterranean theme, please go here. The products are decently prices and very very good quality. They have an amazing range of pasta and a deli that is going to make you melt.

The Flour Mill.

This place is a nice little bakery that opened up sometime last year. I went with my friend Steph in it's early days and we enjoyed what we ate. I hadn't been back since and I thought I'd take Andrew there. Well I'm happy to report it is just as good, possibly better.
The service is good, prompt and not bullshitty like some places. And we all know how I feel about bullshit service.

Andrew had a Chicken and Vegetable Tart which had the most amazing pastry. It was thick but not gluggle, surprisingly light. The filling was very nicely done.

I had a spinach and ricotta sausage roll kind of thing. It was very nicely done. Beautiful balance of ricotta and feta inside - not too bland, not too salty. The pastry was light and just right.

We were then eyeing the desserts which all looked ever so inviting. So we ordered the raspberry cheesecake.


Despite the cheesecake being placed on a bit of the napkin. I didn't mind too much, I'm a pretty easy going person. It's fairly unextraordinary looking right? But then it doesn't look like crap. It just looks like a humble cheesecake that good old (insert relative here) would make right?

WELL Andrew went first and he practically contorted with pleasure as he tasted his piece.
Curious, I took the fork and got a piece, put it in my mouth... ECSTASY.
Unbelievable.
I have NEVER had such a good cheesecake in Melbourne before at an eatery. Even those famed for their cheesecakes have nothing on this little piece here.
It was creamy, like beautifully creamy, there was just this slight hint of the tartness of the cream cheese linked in with it. It was sweet but not too sweet. And OH so so so so soft. Almost mousse-like in its texture, but not really.
Oh and the berries mixed in and the topping were a delight, they had such good flavour, they may have used jam actually but that's just speculation.
The biscuit base was perfect actually, just so well done.
After eating this we were satisfied and so glad we had this little piece of heaven on Sydney Road.
So my friends, if you like cheesecake then try this one from:

The Flour Mill
341 Sydney Road, Brunswick

Peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment